Repair, Replacement & Installation of Flat Roofing
Hire a Roofing Contractor with Installation Expertise
Even the right roofing material will fail if it’s not installed correctly. That’s why it’s vital to choose an experienced roofer. At Harmony Home Improvement, we’ll install your new roof quickly and efficiently. We’ll also take the time to help you explore your many flat roof options.
- Built-up roofing (BUR) is the traditional flat roof solution and incorporates roofing felt (tar paper) and asphalt-based roofing tar. A protective top layer is then applied to promote durability and interior comfort. BUR roofing requires periodic maintenance–usually the application of more layers. This can make the roof heavy and expensive to remove. BUR is still an economical option, but there are better materials available on the market today.
- Modified bitumen is ideal for both residential and commercial structures. It is a roll-on material. Seams can be fused with heat or a special seal. Like BUR roofing, a protective coat is applied to boost modified bitumen’s performance.
- EPDM stands for ethylene propylene diene monomer and it feels a lot like rubber. EPDM arrives in large rolls and is appropriate for expansive, flat roofs. The material is applied directly to the roof deck. The main drawback of EPDM is that it absorbs a lot of heat. It may be worth it to pay a little extra to get white EPDM or a protective coating applied.
- PVC roofing is a top performer. It is made from polyvinyl chloride, the same durable plastic used in common pipes. Like EPDM, PVC is mostly found on large commercial buildings. It is waterproof and lasts a long time. It also reflects heat because of its inherently light color.
- TPO stands for thermoplastic olefine and feels a little like cloth. This is a newer roofing material that can be applied with heat or adhesives. So far, TPO has impressed roofers and their customers, but the jury’s still out on its long-term performance.
- Spray polyurethane foam (SPF) serves as roofing and insulation. SPF can be applied directly over and old roof, and is good at reducing energy usage and costs. This material is an ideal solution for business owners who want to avoid the mess and inconvenience of a new roof installation.